Tuesday, November 13, 2012

Dinner Tonight: Sausage & Tortellini Soup


I just get giddy over a new soup!  I really, really love a hearty bowl of soup goodness and this totally fit the bill!  We used chicken sausage but you can totally use pork if you like.  Use whatever makes you happy.  I used a spicy chicken sausage to give it a kick but you could use a mild Italian sweet sausage if that's what sounds best to you...whatever you use...you're going to be so glad you have this on a cold night.

Shopping List
1 pound of Italian sausage (chicken or pork...sweet or spicy...you pick)
1 onion, chopped
3 garlic cloves, chopped
4 cups chicken stock (or broth)
1 (28 oz) can diced tomatoes
1 (15 oz) can tomato sauce
2 tablespoons Italian seasoning
2 (9 oz) packages refrigerated cheese tortellini (I used spinach)
Parmesan Cheese to garnish
Extra Virgin Olive Oil (EVOO)
Salt and Pepper


Over medium-high heat, brown your sausage in a large dutch oven (that's a big soup pot!) with a couple tablespoons of EVOO.  Once brown, add in your onion and garlic and saute about 5 minutes (sprinkle in some S&P).  Stir in your chicken stock and de-glaze the pan (scrape up the little bits off the bottom as you're stirring the stock in).  Stir in your tomatoes, tomato sauce and Italian seasoning.  Bring to a boil and then reduce heat to medium, add in your tortellini, cover your pot and let the tortellini simmer 15 minutes.

Remove your lid after 15 minutes and serve up a bowl of yummy goodness.  Garnish your soup with a little Parmesan cheese.

That's it!  A one pot meal that will leave you satisfied and full.  A yummy dinner!



Print Friendly and PDF

8 comments:

Sheaffer {Pinterest Told Me To} said...

This looks awesome. I love ANYTHING with tortellini in it!

Sarah Hicks said...

This looks great and I already have all the ingredients on hand!

Anonymous said...

Hola! I've been reading your blog for a while now and finally got the bravery to go ahead and give you a shout out from Kingwood Texas! Just wanted to tell you keep up the fantastic job!

My webpage; Read the Full Post

Emily Clippard said...

Looks yummy! We are definitely going to try this! Thank you for all of the yummy recipes!

Emily Clippard said...

Looks so delicious! I am definitely trying this! Thank you for all of the yummy family-friendly recipes:)

Anonymous said...

Hi!! I was wondering if you use stock or broth? In the ingredients it says broth but stock in the directions. Love all your recipes:) thanks!!!

Mix and Match Mama said...

Thanks for pointing out that typo! You can use either. I always prefer stock because it has a richer taste but broth works too! Correcting the typo now!

Anonymous said...

Hi Shay,

I made this over the weekend and it was delicious! I used spicy turkey sausage and kept everything else per your instructions. Just a tip to your readers I froze my tortellini because i was not sure when i was going to make this and did not want them to go bad. One package i defrosted and the other i just added it frozen to the soup. The frozen one held up so much better, the thawed one became too gummy (like when pasta is way overcooked). Anyways it tastes even better two days later!!! My kids are picky about tomato based food, so they really didnt care for this one. Weirdos I tell you. I will be making this again and again, very very good.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...