Thursday, February 7, 2013

Dinner Tonight: Southwestern Sausage Pasta


Ohhhhh!  This was yummy!  I really, really liked this supper!  It's a spicy pasta that is simple and super, super flavorful. I made mine with sliced turkey sausage but you could of course use a pork or chicken sausage too.  The Rotel in the sauce is what gives it the kick along with the Pepper Jack cheese.  My kiddos ate it even with its spice...but if you're not sure about your kids, go ahead and use the Mild Rotel  and Monterey Jack instead.  I promise...this pasta will be a huge hit at your house too!  Thanks for the inspiration from Kevin and Amanda :). 


Shopping List
1 pound sausage, sliced
1 pound pasta (I used a whole wheat)
1/2 cup chicken stock (or water)
1 can Rotel tomatoes (do not drain)
1/4 cup chopped roasted red bell peppers (see below)
1 cup frozen corn
Splash of cream or half and half
Chopped green onion and or Pepper Jack cheese to garnish


Bring a large pot of water to a boil, drop your pasta and cook to al dente (about 7 minutes).

Meanwhile, over medium-high heat, brown your sliced sausage (about 5 minutes).  Stir in your stock and Rotel and de-glaze your pan (scrape all the little bits off the bottom).  Simmer over low heat about 5 minutes.

  Stir in your chopped bell pepper, corn and splash of cream.  Drain your pasta and add to your Rotel mixture.  Stir to incorporate the sauce all over all of the pasta.  Serve and garnish with green onion and/or cheese.


Simple, right?  I always have a jar of roasted red bell pepper in my fridge but if you don't keep that (or don't want to buy it), you can just substitute a little chopped red bell pepper instead...or omit it all together.  Trust me, this supper is lacking anything but flavor.  I loved it!



Print Friendly and PDF

17 comments:

Aubs said...

this sounds soooo good!! i've cut pasta and bread for the most part but when i'm doing longer runs i very much enjoy some pasta or bread! this will most likely be fueling a long run for me!! =)

Abramyan Avenue said...

ohhhh this looks good, and easy!! definitely going to add this to my grocery list!
i did try the white chocoalte macadamia nut cake and the entire 1/3 top of the cake stayed in the pan, and I did Pam it good..lol..i was so disappointed. But the cake itself was really good. i love the combo of toasted nuts and white chocolate chips. Can it get any better really??
-april

Anonymous said...

I was wondering if you could share your weekly/monthly grocery budget? I'm really struggling with this! We are a family of two adults and three toddlers and I spend 250-300 a week on groceries and I don't buy any junk at all!!! Am I doing something wrong?! I know you are a cooking blog but you also seem to be successful at running a family, and knowledgable on all things food related.

Mix and Match Mama said...

We spend about $300 a week on groceries. Years ago, I tried to cut costs by using sites like Grocery Game...but I found you had to buy mostly processed foods. We eat 3 meals a day from our house with the exception of usually Friday and Saturday nights. I will do a grocery shopping post soon!!

Tracy said...

This sounds good...we love pasta and we love southwest flavors! Do you think this would be good with ground beef instead of sausage? Obviously it would change it quite a bit, but we get a fourth of a cow from my parents every year so ground beef is free for us!!

Mix and Match Mama said...

Ground beef or shredded chicken would be delish too! Mix and Match it! :)

Alison @ Get Your Pretty On said...

Oh darn, I had some turkey sausage this week but wasn't sure what to do with it. I'm definitely filing this away for next time. Looks wonderful!

The Dose of Reality said...

This looks DELICIOUS!! I am telling you right now that my hubby would lick his plate clean...am headed to the grocery store today and will be picking up these ingredients! :)

Anonymous said...

Okay thank you for the validation!! I won't worry about my $300 then :). I seriously don't buy junk or processed food - but fruits, veggies and healthy food is expensive (especially organic and especially at Whole Foods which I'm addicted to). We only eat out on weekends too so I'll tell hubby to be thankful for that haha
Made your Swiss crepe casserole today and it was a huge hit. My husband wants me to make it again tomorrow for guests :)

Anonymous said...

Yes please on the grocery shopping post!
Kate

Anonymous said...

PS I would also love to hear what your kids eat for breakfast and lunch (and snacks)... I think your readers are mostly Bach-obsessed moms of toddlers too so help us out!!!
Kate

Mix and Match Mama said...

I'm doing Grocery 101 the week after next! I'll also start working on some breakfast and lunch posts too! Thanks ladies! XOXO

tanner348 said...

Mix and Match Mama,
I made the Southwestern Sausage Pasta tonight for dinner. I enjoyed it, but the one thing my husband and I both agreed on was the fact that the pasta was a little "dry"....it didn't create a "sauce" like I thought it would.....
At the end of the "steps" it says to incorporate all the "sauce" over the pasta....well, it didn't really create a sauce.
Any suggestions?

Mix and Match Mama said...

Hmmmm...my first thought is that you might have used too much pasta. If you boiled more than a pound of pasta, the recipe wouldn't have created enough sauce to coat. You could have also let it simmer a little too long and thus the sauce evaporated and thickened up too much. Next time, try adding a cup more chicken stock to the recipe and that will stretch your sauce a bit. Thank you!

tanner348 said...

I actually used less than a pound of pasta....I might've let it simmer too long...
But, we had it as leftovers today for lunch AND I made my own sauce to add to it! :) I combined a little bit of fat free sour cream and about 4 oz. of Veggie Cream Cheese (dairy alternative)....it added a great "cream" to it!
So, if your readers want to change it up a little bit...just make your own sauce to "cream" it up a bit! :)
Thanks for all the great recipes; I "bookmark" them often....

Callie

Sara said...

What brand of whole wheat pasta do you use? I'm having a hard time finding one we like. Thanks!

Sarah said...

I made this with a few variations and it turned out great! I added red onion, mushrooms, and crushed red pepper and didn't use the corn since I didn't have any. I used spicy Italian chicken sausage and Also used about 2 TBSP of Greek yogurt instead of the cream- the leftovers were great took!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...